Sunday, October 17, 2010

Winter in the Woods

My mini-quilt pattern "Winter in the Woods" is in the special Christmas edition of Fat Quarterly!


You can find it on page 50! This pattern is fun because it allows you to show off, and maybe try out, some different skills including paper piecing, hand-sewing, quilting, and embroidery.


The little cottage embroidery was also designed by me and the paper transfer pattern is also included in the magazine. The finished mini quilt finishes at 22.5x28.5" and I am so happy to have been included in this awesome magazine.

This special issue was sent out to subscribers of the magazine as a little gift, but you can also purchase it yourself on the Fat Quarterly website for a special price; go to buy it here. There are so many other awesome projects in this issue, including a tree skirt, a quilt, the cutest dolls designed by Katy, a Christmas tutorial challenge, a cowl designed by my super-rocking  friend Amanda (who, by the way, just released the first patterns for her own pattern line, The Frosted Pumpkin), and so much more; you will not regret purchasing this issue!



Just a little note: If you are a subscriber and received your issue on the first day it was sent out, please see the errata page on the Fat Quarterly website as there is a mistake in the first version of my pattern. It has been corrected in all the other copies of the magazine, but you may want to check it out.

And in case anyone is wondering, all of the printed fabrics I used (with the exception of the brown tree trunk hexagons) are from the "Have a Sheri Berry Holiday" line by Sheri Berry for Northcott.

So what do you guys think? Is this a pattern you'd like to try out yourself? Will you use bits and pieces of the pattern, like the embroidery, on other projects? I'd really like you know what y'all think! And don't forget to upload pictures of your finished projects made from the magazine to the Fat Quarterly Flickr group.

9 comments:

  1. It's so cute! I love the hexagon trees - great idea. I was so happy to see your pattern in the FQ mag. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way the quilt can teach so many techniques! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a great pattern! the cabin is so sweet. i love the hexagon trees, too. very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is just adorable and so different...I am not much for hand sewing or embroidery but it sure is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Discovered your web site and absolutely adore it. Carry on the truly amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Received my Holiday issue yesterday and your contribution is lovely! Like you say it covers a bit of several techniques and most crafty people like to a bit of everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the hexagon trees is brilliant. I will definitely use that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so nice and I like how it uses other skills. There is so much we do by machine, it is a pleasure to use my hands now and then. I did try some paper pieces, just a few but this is encouraging. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very sweet, Kaye! I love that your pattern isn't exclusively Christmas--it really could be on display all winter! Your quilting is really cool.

    ReplyDelete